Translate

Monday, March 10, 2014

"To Tweet or Not to Tweet"

As a visual learner myself, I always try and incorporate visual aides within my classroom instruction. Ten Great Video Tutorials on Using Twitter in Education, is a great article including informational videos to help me better understand the nuts and bolts of micro-blogging with Twitter. The video that captured my eye was titled, Academic Excellence in 140 Characters. They take a look on the usage of social media sites and the impact of learning. The engagement of students with each other were impacted. They felt as if they knew each other on a higher level. in and outside of their classroom. 
Twitter in the classroom included discussions on a relevant topic discussed further from class, assignments, and most importantly, a way for students to interact through what they love, social networking. Students are able to express themselves in 140 characters interacting with each other and support.  The teachers also put reminders on the Twitter page of upcoming assignments, office hours, and events on campus. I found myself really connecting with this video in relation to how they effectively used this micro-blogging tool in the classroom.

   

The second article I read was titled, A Must Have Guide When Using Twitter in Your Classroom. This intrigued my eye because I love when information is designed in a bullet point referenced way.  Educators of any field continuously have fast paced lives, especially when it comes to technology.  This article listed four sub-categories on implementing technology in the classroom including communication, organization, resources and writing skills. My favorite activity using Twitter that would be very appropriate for ELL students is having them tweet sentences using a specific word to build vocabulary.  As soon as I read this idea, 5 more ideas came to mind! This is only one of the many ideas on the Twitter Guide. This website 'sold' the use of Twitter in my future classroom! 













1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you found some useful ideas for using Twitter.

    ReplyDelete